BARBARA M. PERNIA
Conservation and Develoment Division
The division shall be responsible in planning, developing, implementing and providing technical assistance in the development, management and conservation of resources in forestlands, protected areas, coastal and foreshore areas. It shall also monitor and evaluate the implementation of conservation and development program policies, rules and regulations as inputs in the formulation of regional and local policies..
Production Forest Management Section
- Provide the framework for the development and management of the forestlands to achieve their optional uses for protection and production purposes;
- Monitor all activities related to implementation of all policies, rules and regulations regarding the management and development of production forests;
- Assist in the identification and assessment of forestlands for development under the public-private partnership program and/or co-management schemes;
- Facilitate the promotion and institutionalization of community-based forest management as a strategy in the development and management of production forests.
- Assist in forestland use planning activities in coordination with Local Government Units.
- Provide advice and guidance to all stakeholders on the sustainable development and management of production forests.
- Spearhead the promotion for the development and management of production forests with emphasis on forest protection, fire management, and pest and disease control.
- Review and analyze national, regional and local forest development and management legislation, laws, and policy and recommend changes to promote and support interests of the general public.
- Provide technical assistance in the promotion and development of Urban Forestry.
- Spearhead the conduct of forest resources inventory and assessment.
- Perform other activities as maybe assigned by higher authorities.
Protected Area and Biodiversity Conservation Section
- Provide technical assistance in the implementation of strategies and approaches towards effective and efficient management of protected areas covered under RA 7586 or the NIPAS Act.
- Recommend the establishment and disestablishment of protected areas following the procedures as provided under RA 7586 and its Implementing Rules and Regulations.
- Spearhead in the assessment and evaluation of areas possessing excellent ecosystems critical to regional and national biodiversity conservation and, if appropriate, recommend for their designation as critical habitats.
- Spearhead in the assessment and evaluation of cave resources and cave ecosystems and recommend the formulation of strategies and approaches in the protection and conservation of caves as mandated under RA 9072 or the Cave Resources Conservation and Protection Act.
- Monitor the implementation of conservation and protection activities and strategies as provided under RA 9147 or the Wildlife Resources Conservation and Protection Act.
- Monitor the implementation of various specific Biodiversity Conservation Programs including wildlife conservation programs and projects.
- Facilitate the promotion and institutionalization of ecotourism in protected areas as a conservation strategy simultaneous to economic development through viable business partnerships with the LGUs or the private sector;
- Assist in the identification and assessment of inland wetlands and its resources critical to wetland ecosystems conservation and management.
- Assist in the implement information, education and communication on biodiversity and nature conservation in coordination with the Regional Public Affairs Office.
- In coordination with the Surveys and Mapping Division, assist in the delineation and demarcation of PA boundaries and management zones.
Perform other activities as maybe assigned by higher authorities.
Coastal Resources and Foreshore Management Section
- Facilitate the provision of technical assistance to all stakeholders in coastal resource programs including resource assessments, integrated management planning, and rehabilitation and protection of habitats.
- Prepare reports, work and financial plans, program proposals, and develop strategies for sustainable partnerships on coastal resource and foreshore area management programs.
- Monitor and evaluate the implementation of plans, programs, policies, legislation, and laws on coastal and marine resources including foreshore areas, to develop policy recommendations for the enhancement of implementation through local ordinances and LGU policy issuances.
- Provide advice and guidance to all stakeholders on the sustainable development and management of coastal and marine resources.
- Spearhead and/or participate in the coastal resource activities relating to Philippine international commitments and local partnerships.
- Perform other activities as maybe assigned by the higher authorities.